Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Twelve #1


I'm a couple weeks behind on this one I think (you should see the pile of unread comics and magazines laying about my place - it rivals the pile of un-listened to cd's... very sad!) but I'm glad I picked it up today.

First off, I've never been a big fan of Straczynski, for no apparent reason - I just haven't dug any of his books, that I've read. On the other hand, I do really enjoy Chris Weston's work (big fan of The Filth and Ministry of Space - go read 'em!).

It's a great "rip van winkle" story -- go to sleep in the 1940's -- wake up 60 years in the future -- this issue just barely touches on it, as there is a lot of stage setting and laying the groundwork of who's who.

So you've got 12 golden age superhero types that most of us have never met before, as they were really obscure characters from the 1940's that only appeared rather briefly in publishing history. Straczynski really does a great job of introducing us to the Twelve and I for one, cannot wait to see where this is headed. So far - So Good! Recommended.



.

No comments: